Sunday 8 July 2012

Monday-itis



I can be feeling great – really positive, soothed and strong.
Then Monday morning comes around.
Often it seems no matter how ‘well’ I feel on the weekend, how much of the right thing I try and do, Monday morning can still roll around and make me feel like I am drowning.
I am sure you all feel levels of Monday-itis on a regular basis. Whether it’s a passing feeling of disappointment that the weekend is over, some extra tiredness after two days of sleeping in, or for some people, the genuine stress and panic at what the week ahead will bring.
Monday morning is when the worst of my anxiety would set in. The alarm would go off (or sometimes I would wake myself automatically in a panic or as the result of bad dreams), and the thought of getting myself out of bed, travelling to work in the cold and seeing people, having to go to work, was so impossible and so confronting, I wished the bed would just swallow me up whole.
The first day of the working week is bound to be tough, but I also think there is something about the morning, when you’re feeling tired, vulnerable and the world is literally dark, that your deepest fears can feel unmanageable and stress can feel insurmountable.
In the coming weeks I will share some of my coping mechanisms for getting through Monday-itis and helping to try and see Monday morning as the start of a new day and a time of renewal and excitement. 

(Image via paris2london tumblr)

1 comment:

  1. The better my weekend is the harder I find Monday. I tend to spend the whole day wishing it was sill the weekend. This constant feeling prompted me to explore ways to make Mondays special too. Thanks for reminding me! http://homespunblissblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/10-things-monday.html

    ReplyDelete