Saturday 14 July 2012

Stretch it out



There a number of ‘s’ words that come to mind on a Monday morning.
Snooze…snooze again…shut that alarm up…someone please kill me now.
But until recently, stretching wasn’t one of them.
In my attempts to start the day feeling healthier, I have started a morning routine of gentle stretching.
Think about it. You have just spent hours curled up in bed - your brain is fuzzy, you’re tired and your body is stiff. A 5-10 minute stretching routine is a great activity to get you going and provide a physical, mental and emotional morning boost.  
I am not talking about a full-on yoga session, just a few simple stretches to get your mind and body in a better place.                                            
I use a space in the corner of my living room, just big enough to squeeze between my heater, the lounge and the coffee table, because lets face it, it’s cold. And that’s the best part - you can do it anywhere, wearing anything. It is totally acceptable to do your morning stretches in your flannelette pajamas, in fact, I encourage it.
I have even provided a link to a video to get you started.

Trust me, try this for a week and you will start to crave the movement, the feeling of calm, balance and energy it can introduce to the start of your day. If you keep it up for long enough, you might even notice these positive effects carry throughout the rest of your day.
The key is simplicity. Keep to 5–10 minutes as any longer can feel like a chore and eat into precious sleeping time.
Why not give it a go tomorrow?
(Image via matchbox mag )

No comments:

Post a Comment