Sunday 22 July 2012

Monday motivation – breakfast




As another weekend draws to a close, we take a look at some more ideas to overcome Monday-itis.   
 
When I worked closer to home, one of my coping mechanisms for Monday mornings was booking in a breakfast date.

A delicious café breakfast and strong coffee with a friend or colleague is a great buffer between the weekend and the working week. It gives you a chance to debrief on the weekend and discuss anything that's worrying you about the week ahead. I am also a firm believer that coffee and good food can fix almost anything.

These days with an hour and a half commute to work, Monday breakfast dates are few and far between, but I can still rely on the healing power of coffee and a yummy breakfast to get me through a Monday morning.

Here are two of my breakfast favs (and apologies if you’re not a fan of bananas). 

Banana Smoothie

This smoothie has been my saviour through week-one of gluten free eating.

Simply chop up a banana (you can add extra fruit, strawberries or berries are great), add two cups of milk (skim or rice), one tablespoon of honey, two tablespoons of LSA (a mix of linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds from the nut section at Woolies), and blend.

A friend suggested adding some peanut butter for protein and to make it a little more filling. I did this today and it was scrumptious!

Toast and then some

My mum started this breakfast meal, and it’s one of the family favourites.

Toast some sourdough bread, coat in honey, add a chopped banana, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar and then finish off with a tablespoon or so of low fat vanilla yoghurt.

Very satisfying and will keep you full until lunchtime.

Enjoy
X

(Image via everyday occasions )

4 comments:

  1. How do you fit in a good breakie when commuting - do you eat at home or when you get to work? Love the smoothie idea. I always put yoghurt in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a challenge Jodie. Traditionally I eat breakfast when I get to work but since embarking on my journey to gluten free goodness I have been making smoothies at home before leaving and drinking them as I drive. I find smoothies are so quick, it only adds a few extra minutes. Next week I'd like to explore baking some gluten free breakfast bars...I'll keep you posted x

      Delete
  2. Your brekky sounds so gourmet! I know how you feel because I used to commute too. sometimes you just need a pick-me-up for the train trip. Mine is the same every day (but I have it at work). Bornhoffen yoghurt and muesli. Awesome kick-start to the day, don't get hungry til 1pm. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhhh can't wait to try toast and then some - sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete