Wednesday 25 July 2012

Return of the head cold




I have been struck down with the cold again. When will it end?

I was particularly disappointed this time because I have been working hard to eat and drink the right things so I could build up my immunity and kick these winter germs.

For the record, I hate taking time off work. I hate feeling like I am letting people down, I hate feeling like I am weak and I hate the thought of not getting all my work done.

But yesterday in the midst of mucas, hot sweats and fearing I could potentially burst into tears if someone spoke to me, I took myself home early and slept.

When I woke up today my first thought was, ‘I am not dying, it’s just a head cold, I’m going to work’… but I didn’t.

Somewhere inside my head a wise voice told me to go back to bed.  And with no energy to fight it, I did.

Maybe the truth is no matter how well you eat and how hard you try to keep fighting, sometimes being sick is your body’s way of telling you to stop, slow down and rest.

So here I am, still in my pyjamas at 11am, wrapped in a blanket, drinking tea and only checking my blackberry occasionally.

Hopefully by taking some time out, I can slowly start to feel better and get my immune system back on track.

(Image via Flickr ) 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such an honest post - sometimes being kind to yourself is so much harder than just pushing on! Good on you for being committed to your health x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you :) we forget how important it is to slow down from time to time

    ReplyDelete